NATIONAL FOOD AND NUTRITION COMMISSION
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR LOCAL CONSULTANCY TO DEVELOP A COMPREHENSIVE COUNTRY COMMITMENT FOR ZAMBIA ON SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS
The United Nations will convene a Food Systems Summit to be held on 23rd September 2021. This Summit aims to launch bold new actions to transform how the world produces and consumes food as part of the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. In order to support the Member States in developing national pathways towards sustainable food systems, they are encouraged to initiate multi-stakeholder Food Systems Summit Dialogues. These Dialogues took place in three stages, within different sub-national settings as well as nationally. It is expected that this will result in the shaping of national pathways to sustainable food systems and expressions of intention to support these pathways from a broad range of stakeholders, providing opportunities for these stakeholders to engage in preparations for the Summit through structured interactions. The involvement of different stakeholder groups in the Food Systems Summit was critical. Multi-stakeholder Dialogues are increasingly recognized as a valuable approach for engaging multiple actors to work together to resolve systems challenges using their combined knowledge.
To accelerate this process, the National Convener was designated from the Office of the Vice President charged with responsibility for defining and organizing the National Dialogues. At the same time, the National Food and Nutrition Commission was the Secretariat and the Curator from the Ministry of Agriculture.
PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The sub-national and national consultations should culminate into a country position paper on sustainable Food Systems that will be presented at the UN Food Systems Summit on 23rd September 2021. After the Summit, Zambia is also expected to revisit the pathways and refine them accordingly. Further, the dialogues did not capture key stakeholders in the food value chain, especially the food processing industry and the private sector. After the UN Food Systems summit on 23rd September 2021, a follow up national level follow up dialogue will be held to consider the outcomes of the Summit.
Within this context, the National Food and Nutrition Commission (NFNC) is as a result of this seeking to engage an experienced Consultant to develop a Comprehensive Country Commitment for Zambia on Sustainable Food Systems. This shall be based on the outputs and outcomes from the literature and from national, sub-national and independent dialogues.
The consultant will review the draft pathways and refine the comprehensive Country Commitment on sustainable food systems towards achieving the 2030 sustainable Development Goals.
Scope of work/ key activities
- Produce inception report on how the work will be accomplished
- Study the relevant Food Systems documents (including, but not limited to the sub-national and national dialogues on the Food Systems)
- Hold dialogues with selected food industry and private/business sector engaged in the food systems in Lusaka
- Review and improve upon Zambia’s draft food systems pathways for the next 9 years (up to 2030), focusing on key challenges affecting food systems and refining recommendations on the selected Action Tracks within the short, medium, and long term.
- Facilitate at the national dialogue after the UN Food systems summit
- To develop the country report reflecting the dialogues processes at national and sub-national levels and main outputs
- Develop Food Synthesis Policy briefs
- Inception Report: one draft strategy and one final strategy to be submitted to the NFNC.
- Country report reflecting the dialogues processes at national and sub-national levels and main outputs before and after the UN Food Systems summit
- Refined Comprehensive Commitment for Zambia on Sustainable Food Systems towards achieving the 2030 vision on Sustainable Development Goals.
This is a 15 days’ assignment and is expected to commence in September 2021 and expire on 20th October 2021.
The consultant will provide a detailed work plan on how the assignment will be undertaken and how the days will be utilized.
The consultant will report to the NFNC Deputy Executive Director and will work closely and other relevant stakeholders.
- 1st payment of 20% upon submitting the Inception Report
- 2nd payment 40% after submitting the country report on the dialogue processes at national and sub-national levels
- 3rd and last payment 40% after submitting the final report with Refined Comprehensive Commitment for Zambia on Sustainable Food Systems
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
An advanced university degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Development Studies, Agriculture, Social Sciences or a related field. PhD is an added advantage
- At least 5 years of experience in strategy development at the national or international level preferably in program and policy formulation.
- Field experience and background in research and policy development
- Experience in preparing policy and high-level documents and reports
- Prior engagement working with the food security and nutrition programme is an added advantage
- Significant experience and understanding of food, agriculture, and nutrition security systems
- Proof of successful accomplishment of the contract with a similar nature, minimum of three reference letters
Technical skills & knowledge
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of the role of various stakeholders in food systems
- Knowledge and understanding of the Food System
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English and demonstrated ability to write high-level technical documents
- Demonstrated ability to work and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and facilitate meetings
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player and ability to work in a multicultural setting
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates/firms are invited to submit an Expression of interest detailing their understanding of the assignment, proposed methodology, work plan, budget, CV and Tax clearance from ZRA by email to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org before the close of business on 28th September 2021.